The new Queensland Smoke Alarm Regulations kick in on 01/01/2022. Smoke alarms save lives. Reports have found that the risk of death in a house fire is reduced by more than half if properly maintained smoke alarms are installed.
At Clark Real Estate, we have been working hard to get our investment property owners compliant. If you have not yet heard from your property manager regarding the new regulations and upgrading your properties smoke alarms, we urge you to act now. If you self-manage or if you are with an agent, ask yourself if you are confident there is capacity to deal with the additional work of making the changes required by law that these new regulations demand, along with ensuring you are compliant with the Queensland Tenancy Reforms (see our blog here)
Did you know that with the new compliance legislation all homeowners must ensure the following:
|FROM 1 JANUARY 2022|
|Smoke alarms in all dwellings must:
|Smoke alarms must be installed on each storey:
In addition to the above, property managers/owners are currently required to:
- test and clean smoke alarms and replace any flat or nearly flat batteries within 30 days before the start of a tenancy
- not remove a smoke alarm or a battery (other than to replace it), or do anything to reduce the effectiveness of the alarm e.g. paint it.
- test and clean (by vacuuming or dusting) smoke alarms at least once every 12 months
- replace any flat or nearly-flat batteries
- advise the property owner/manager if there is any issue with the alarm (apart from batteries)
- allow the property owner/manager right of entry to install smoke alarms
- not remove a smoke alarm or the battery (other than to replace it), or do anything to reduce the effectiveness of the alarm e.g., paint or cover it
With a 0% vacancy rate and 99% of our tenants who have paid on time, our results are proven, and these are not the only things to be excited about! As property management specialists we work hard for our investor owners and are always focussed on providing respectful, honest, and professional services.
If you want to see how we can help you achieve your property goals or obtain a current market valuation of your property contact us on 07 3256 1600.